Simply stated, a Rule of Life is an intentional plan or covenant for the way we will live life together.
Our Rule of Life, is adopted primarily from the New Day Community:
- We will pray daily.
- We will use a variety of forms of prayer, such as the reflective reading of Scripture and other spiritual texts, confession, the prayer of examen, intercession, journaling and contemplation.
- We will practice fasting in some form (food, alcohol, social media, television, etc.) once a week (either full or partial).
- We will practice a contemplative stance in order to be present and open to God, the world, and ourselves.
- We will be open to God and others by intentionally and continually learning, studying, and growing.
- We will be hospitable to our neighbors in our families, neighborhoods and workplaces.
- We will be hospitable to our faith community through participation in worship, fellowship, and mission.
- We will honor and care for the gift of the earth and its resources, practicing ecologically responsible living, striving for simplicity rather than excessive consumption.
- We will practice generosity in sharing our material resources, including money, within and beyond this community.
- We will use our spiritual gifts, talents and abilities to serve God within and beyond this community.
- We will serve God and neighbor out of gratitude and for the love of God.
- We will model the Kingdom of God through acts of love, compassion, and justice.
- We will stand up for and with the oppressed, marginalized, and excluded.
- We will practice mutual accountability with one another for how we live out this Rule of Life.
- We will practice regular Sabbath as a means of renewal so that we can serve God and neighbor from a place of love, peace, and joy
- We will resist evil and injustice.
- We will see all people as beloved children of God and affirm their basic human rights.
- We will become aware of our own places of privilege and renounce them on behalf of others.
- We will pursue peace with justice and seek to resolve conflict through healing and restoration, when possible and appropriate.
- We will try to live our lives as faithful reflections of God’s grace so that others may know and experience the love of God.
I commit to this rule of life and to the wellbeing of this community, out of gratitude to God who forgives, heals, and makes all things new. May my life be a blessing within and beyond God’s church, for the transformation of the world.
If you feel called to commit to this rule of life, to be a part of the Manaigh Nua Community, please fill out the form/link below